If you are hauling watercraft of any kind, you must stop. It’s the law.
Montana law requires everyone transporting motorized or nonmotorized watercraft to stop at all inspections stations. This includes rafts, drift boats, canoes, kayaks, paddleboards, personal pontoons, and sail boats.
Your watercraft must be inspected if:
- You encounter an open inspection station.
- You are coming into Montana from out-of-state.
- You are traveling west over the Continental Divide into western Montana (the Columbia River Basin).
- You are coming off Tiber or Canyon Ferry Reservoirs.
- You are launching anywhere within the Flathead Basin and your watercraft last launched on waters outside of the Flathead Basin.
- 2018 FWP AIS Inspection & Decontamination Stations Map
- Flathead Basin Inspection Rules
- Map of Flathead Basin
Learn more about Thwarting Aquatic Invaders.